Friday 28 September 2012

Glee: Makeover Recap/Review


I'll admit that I thought this season was going to continue to be a dud after last week's episode. I thought that the first episode back was a one off and this season would be filled with badly written episodes with songs that made no sense to the central plot. However, I was proved wrong with this episode of Glee - 'Makeover'. The episode started with a Blaine voice-over in which Blaine basically told us that he wanted to be more involved at McKinley and find his place now that Kurt is gone. I'm liking this storyline for Blaine because his storylines have always been related to Kurt somehow, so I'm excited to see Blaine strike out on his own. Also, I'm loving Blaine singing 'Everybody Wants to Rule the World', I love 80's music and I love the montage with this scene, it makes the scene very John Hughes. Blaine then signs up to be class president, when I was thinking about it this made sense, Blaine would make a great president.



We then check up on Kurt, who is beginning his first day working at Vogue.com for Isabelle Wright (Sarah Jessica Parker). My first reaction towards Isabelle's character was that she was boring but nice, don't worry though, my view changed as the episode went on. My favorite part of this scene was when Isabelle said "that should come with a warning" and Kurt responds with "oh, it did!" Back at McKinley, Brittany asks Artie to help her run for class president and it's pointed out that she did nothing as class president last year. This is so true, I mean remember the prom-asaurus A.K.A. the worst TV prom ever! While watching this episode I noticed that you didn't feel the distance between New York and McKinley like we did in 'Britney 2.O', I'm glad that it's back to feeling more natural. Anyway, Mr. Schuester is tapped out of ideas when it comes to Glee club so Sue tells him to go do something else before he starts to regret his life. I've missed Sue, she hasn't been in the first two episodes enough. Plus, what's with Mr. Schuester's hair this year? Moving back to the presidential election storyline, Brittany basically forces Sam to be Blaine's vice president candidate, this will turn out to be a good thing, just wait.

Kurt then has his first meeting at Vogue.com, for some reason I thought this scene was going to be like that meeting that Rory had in Gilmore Girls and I thought Isabelle was going to start yelling at Kurt. This didn't happen though, the opposite happened, Isabelle just seemed really nice. This is the reason why I start liking Isabelle, because she seems so nice. Also, when Daphne (get your meds in order, Daphne!) mentioned the leather socks, I started to wonder if there was a such a thing as a leather tie... I'll look into that later. I'm loving the relationship between Isabelle and Kurt, I really loved it when Kurt said that Isabelle could live with him and Rachel in Bushwick and Isabelle replied with "oh, God!"

Cut to McKinley, Artie is prepping Brittany for the election as Blaine preps Sam. I'm really loving this presidential election storyline, it's really fun. I especially loved when Artie asks Brittany what her favorite color is she says "Filipino." Sam and Brittany then break out into singing 'Celebrity Skin', I'm loving this montage of Sam and Brittany too. Mr. Schuester is then holding some kind of Glee club committee meeting, I don't even know. All I know is that I see Kirk from Gilmore Girls! Hey Kirk! When we go back to New York it is eighteen minutes into the episode and this is the first scene with Rachel, this is unacceptable! There needs to be more Lea Michele/Rachel Berry at all times. But whatever, I'm still loving Rachel and Kurt's relationship, I know that I've said this before but this just needs to be the Rachel and Kurt show already. Give the people what they want! Rachel however, wants a makeover and Kurt knows just what to do!


After the break, we learn of Kurt's plan. He wants to sneak into the Vogue.com offices after hours and give Rachel a makeover. In addition, he wants to record it and put it on the Vogue.com website. Although, Isabelle catches them in the act and we think Kurt's gonna get in trouble but Isabelle ain't even mad, she just wants in on the action. Then they start to sing a mash-up of 'The Way You Look Tonight' and 'You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile.' This is yet another fun montage and I didn't even know Sarah Jessica Parker could sing. After all the excitement, Kurt and Blaine have a video chat and it looks like this couple isn't going to make it. I don't even care though, all I'm thinking about while watching this scene is why does Blaine's bedroom look like a motel room?

Mr. Schuester back at McKinley goes to see Emma to get some advice about leaving the Glee club to do something (I dunno, I wasn't listening). I totally forgot that Will and Emma are a couple and that they're engaged. I think she tells him to follow his dreams or something but if Will leaves the Glee club then isn't he leaving Emma too? Doesn't matter cause it's time for elections! Or voting! Or speeches! Or something! Are Brittany/Arite and Blaine/Sam the only people running? That seems so odd. Although, Sam's speech gets my vote! Brittany's does not, is she crazy! No summer? No weekends? Lock her up!


At the Vogue.com offices we learn that Kurt's plan was a success (sort of) and then I start to think about how Kurt's storyline is starting to remind me of Ugly Betty. Also, I just want Sarah Jessica Parker to be a series regular at this point, loving Isabelle. At NYDA, Rachel and Brody have some flirty banter and start singing 'A Change Would Do You Good', I'm starting to feel like Rachel and Brody have more chemistry than Rachel and Finn do. At McKinley, Sue and Becky announce the winner of the election (Sue and Becky in this scene are hilarious) and it's... BLAINE! Yay! He'll make a great president. I also hope that the Blaine/Sam bromance does great this season, Sam just seems to be friends with everyone now. Rachel then makes dinner for Brody, I love how it caught on fire, Lea Michele's acting was so funny in that scene. Moon River played in this scene too and it just fitted so well. All was going so good and then Finn shows up at the door. GO HOME FINN! This was such a good episode, I loved it so much. I hope the writers keep this up.

Performances:-
'Everybody Wants to Rule the World' performed by Blaine = A
'Celebrity Skin' performed by Brittany and Sam = A
'The Way You Look Tonight'/'You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile' performed by Isabelle, Kurt & Rachel = A+
'A Change Would Do You Good' performed by Rachel and Brody = B+

Overall episode score:-
'Makeover' = A+

No comments:

Post a Comment