Saturday 17 November 2012

Glee: Glease Recap/Review


This week's 'Glee' finally payed homage to 'Grease' with the episode 'Glease'. This episode was a big improvement from last week and it was much more enjoyable to watch. So Mr. Schuester finally tells the Glee club that he's leaving for sabbatical and the club is not happy about. I though Mr. Schue had already left. But Sue breaks up the Glee brawl when she calls Finn and Mr. Schue to Principal Figgins' office. Sue is upset with Finn after he called her baby a mean name last week (which I shall not repeat) so she doesn't want Finn to run the Glee club. However, Principal Figgins doesn't seem to care and either do I, Finn can be in charge of whatever he likes. When Figgins tells Sue this she gets super angry and starts abusing the children, I love it when Sue manhandles the students. In New York, we find out that Rachel has her first off-Broadway audition and she tells Cassandra that she should also audition. Bad move Rachel, when will you learn? I really missed Rachel, I can't believe they did an episode without her last week. When Cassandra asks Brody to be her new TA, he says yes but he wants to start next week so he can help Rachel with her audition first. In Marley's fitting for 'Grease' she becomes paranoid when he costume no longer fits her. Although, Marley hasn't gained weight, Kitty has been altering Marley's costumes. Let's just stab Kitty! Kitty then invites all the girls (including Unique) to a sleepover at her house. But Marley is still feeling down about her sudden weight gain so she asks her mom for advice. I love Marley's mom, she's so nice and helpful. Finn then goes to the teacher's lounge to say sorry to Sue about his comments but Scary Sue is back and she is not taking it. Sue actually isn't allowing Finn to rehearse in the auditorium for 'Grease' so Finn has the guys practice at Hummel Tires and Lube where they break out into singing 'Greased Lightin'. This isn't my favorite 'Grease' song but it was a good performance.



Back in New York, Tina is keeping Kurt and Rachel updated on what's happening with 'Grease'. I like that Tina still talks to them and is keeping them updated. This makes them question if they should go or not, Cassandra overhears and offers them her frequent flyer miles to use. At this point I was questioning why Cassandra was being so nice and that question will be answered later. In Lima, Kitty has her sleepover and don't be fooled by her sudden niceness, Kitty is crazy. She takes Marley aside and basically tells her to practice bulimia. Kitty then starts singing 'Look at Me, I'm Sandra Dee' which is a funny performance because it really went well with how Kitty sees Marley. At school, Finn is called to the principal's office again. This time, Sue has told Wade's parents that he will be playing Rizzo in the school's version of 'Grease'. Wade's parents seem pretty open minded but they just don't want Wade to be made fun of. I think Wade should be allowed to be Unique whenever he wants, gosh Sue! Finn now has to find a replacement for Rizzo so he casts Santana! Yay, Santana's back!


On the night of the musical Kurt and Rachel have returned to McKinley and it's so sad to see them back in the hallways. In terms of character development I feel like Kurt and Rachel have come so far. They then run into Mercedes, I didn't know she was in this episode too! She wasn't really used much but it was still nice to have her be a part of it. Backstage, Marley is still having problems with her costume and Ryder sees Kitty take her to the bathroom. Rachel and Kurt then meet up with Blaine and Finn, Rachel remains dignified through-out the whole conversation. They all basically have an awkward catch up and then it's time for the show to start. Blaine sings 'Beauty School Dropout' on stage and it's really difficult for me because I'm Team Kurt but Darren Criss has a great voice and this song is so smooth. Damn you Blaine! Ryder finds Marley in the bathroom backstage trying to throw-up but he tells her that she's beautiful and he doesn't want to kiss someone that tastes like throw-up. So she snaps out of it and sings the reprise of 'Look at Me, I'm Sandra Dee.' This song really went with Marley's storyline.

After this, Brittany and Santana have a conversation, their relationship confuses me but it was a nice moment. 'There Are Worse Things I Could Do' spans across Santana (who is performing it on stage), Wade (who wants to be performing it on stage) and Cassandra (who is seducing Brody), I like how the song fit into the three different situations. Tina and Mike then get some closure in which Tina says their break up made her come to terms and she likes the new Tina, I like the new Tina too. But I think they decided to be friends. On the other side of the room, Ryder calms Marley down before the show and they share a kiss while Jake watches. I think that I ship Marley/Ryder more than Marley/Jake.

The final song of the night is 'You're the One That I Want'. During this performance Rachel imagines herself and Finn on stage and we flashback to the 'Pilot' when they sang this song. Kurt also imagines himself and Blaine on stage but the Rachel/Finn moment is more pivotal. Rachel is pretty upset by this so she calls Brody for support but Cassandra answers his phone and tells Rachel that they did the bad things because Cassandra felt like Rachel needed to be knocked down a peg. Rachel hangs up on Cassandra's self-centered ass and she starts crying because Cassandra is a witch, I knew she was being too nice.


Finn sees that Rachel has been crying but she doesn't want to talk about it but he forces it out of her and he gets upset when he finds out that she's been crying about Brody. It's not always about you, Finn! Very insensitive. Blaine then talks to Kurt but me and Kurt don't care, we can't trust Blaine anymore. The New Directions get a rave review for 'Grease' and Mr. Schuester finally leaves. Bye Mr. Schue, I'll try not to miss you too much. Just kidding, I won't miss you at all. This was a much better episode of 'Glee' and I wish the show would stay at this standard instead of going up and down each week.

Performances:-
'Greased Lightin' performed by Ryder, Joe, Sam, Mike, Artie, Jake and Finn = B+
'Look at Me, I'm Sandra Dee' performed by Kitty = A+
'Beauty School Dropout' performed by Blaine = A
'Look at Me, I'm Sandra Dee (Reprise)' performed by Marley = A+
'There Are Worse Things I Could Do' performed by Santana, Wade and Cassandra = A
'You're the One That I Want' performed by Ryder, Marley, Rachel and Finn = A+

Overall episode score:-
'Glease' = A-

No comments:

Post a Comment