Saturday 17 November 2012

The Vampire Diaries: We All Go a Little Mad Sometimes Mixtape


No show does music like 'The Vampire Diaries'. I first realised this when I watched the pilot, and 'One Republic - Say (All I Need)' started to play as Elena walked down the street. And then you get a tragic break-up scene accompanied by 'Jason Walker - Down', and all of a sudden you're feeling every bit as shattered as Elena did in that moment. Those epic moments in the show made me fall in love with 'The Vampire Diaries', because it became very clear to me that music in this show is just as crucial as the words written down in the script. And what I love the most, is that 'The Vampire Diaries' is consistent. After I watch a new episode, the first thing I do is research what music was played. And I've done this every single week since I've started to watch the show. Music is just as crucial in the show now than it was in the very beginning, and I love, love LOVE that Chris Mollere (the music supervisor on the show) recognises how essential it is to find that perfect song to match a certain scene, and suddenly you have something memorable and magical. But I believe that the music in 'The Vampire Diaries' goes beyond making it memorable and magical. It's a masterpiece.



Scene: Hayley mourns the Dean's death.
Song: The Heavy - Same Ol'

Scene: Klaus and Caroline talk in the Mystic Grill.
Song: Dum Dum Girls - Bedroom Eyes

Scene: Caroline tells Klaus she was sent to distract him.
Song: Oberhofer - Away FRM U

Scene: Damon and Elena talk after he saves her.
Song: Fay Wolf - The Thread of the Thing
I was so excited to hear Fay Wolf played in this week's episode because her cover of 'The Outfield - Use Your Love' has been playing on repeat on my iPod all week long. Check it out here.

Scene: Matt and Damon talk in the Mystic Grill
Song: A Fine Frenzy - It's Alive

Scene: Stefan and Elena break up 
Song: Aiden Hawken and Carina Round - Walking Blind
                                     
So remember how I said that 'The Vampire Diaries' has the ability to make you feel just as shattered as the characters in a break up scene? This is the kind of moment I was talking about. Everything about this song fits so perfectly into this scene - It doesn't distract from the dialogue, yet the lyrics match the situation. The slow and heart-wrenching melody is just enough to leave you feeling every ounce of emotion the writers want you to feel, and Aiden Hawken is just the right artist to make your heart break. Another one of his songs, which is a personal favourite, has also been featured in the show, which you can check out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment